When was the last time you bought yourself a gift?
The concept of “self gifting” is a common theme in luxury goods marketing; it’s one of two main personas used in creating a customer profile. Self-gifters are affluent, hard-working, fashion-forward and love to buy themselves gifts. These times are hard, after all. Politics, misogyny, women making 75 cents on the dollar. You deserve to treat yourself.
kate spade new york’s answer? The Self Gift Guide with an equally sassy hashtag to go along with it: #congratulationsme
The Gift Yourself ad copy reads:
- because you crossed off today’s to-do list
- because you got the kids to bed on time
- because you got the promotion
- because you brought your lunch to work
- because you were a particularly great friend this week
- because you’re having a great hair day
- because you did that thing that scared you
- because you made it to friday
- because you overslept-but arrived on time
Kate Spade has been known for being witty throughout their time as a designer accessories brand, and this campaign is no different.
While they’re obviously still trying to sell shit to you, at least they’re making you into a person and using words to try to convince you to celebrate any victory. But not just the big things like a promotion, but the small victories like still arriving on time even when you oversleep.
Yeah, modern life is hard. If you want these cat-eye sunglasses, you should get them.